In August of 2011, I was working as a code monkey in a 300-people tech company in Slovenia, making $7/h. As I just recently got a raise, I was making more than a thousand dollars a month. Whoa!
Why “Whoa!”? Well, I was a university student, living at my parents with practically no living expenses… So all of a sudden, I had all this money coming my way and I had NO IDEA what to do with it. I didn’t want to waste it on something stupid like buying a new car or a phone.
I decided to reach out to a self-development blogger that I was following at the time, Scott H Young, and here’s what he advised me to do:
I followed his advice and found the website of this weird Indian guy with a very scammy name (I will teach you to be rich? SERIOUSLY?!). But since I trusted Scott, I decided to give it a shot and order his book from Amazon.
When I received his book, I still wasn’t sure whether I could trust this guy or not. It was in fluorescent orange and yellow colors, and Ramit wasn’t even wearing shoes in the picture.
A few days later, I was sitting in my bed and I just finished reading the last page of the book. I was shocked and angry at the world. I was thinking to myself “Why are there such awesome books out there and nobody ever told me about them?!”. Before reading IWTYTBR, all I read was fiction and textbooks… and none of those were particularly life-changing. But this book was. It showed me that life is much more than what we believe it to be, and I began to trust this Ramit guy.
Over the last few years, I took numerous online courses which gave me some amazing results:
In fall of 2011, I took Earn1k, which helped me start my own consulting business and move from earning $7/h in a cubicle to earning $125/h by helping people become more productive and changing their lives in the process.
Ramit’s 6-Figure Consultanting System helped me take the things to the next level – in just one month, I managed to double my monthly revenue and by now I’m working at $250/h – this means that I can cover my minimum monthly expenses by working just 1 hour a week! Yes, that’s a 4-hour work MONTH for me.
If you want to know more about how I went from earning $7/h to $250/h, check out my podcast with Navid Moazzez. We also talk about Zero to Launch and how to get from 0 to 500 e-mail subscribers in a month.
In July 2013, I even got to meet Ramit in person. Yes, he’s a legit human being and a hillarious guy to hang out with.
Because I managed to set up my own consulting business and I only really need to work on it for 4 hours a month, I am now able to devote a lot of my time to implementing Ramit’s new course, Zero to Launch, which I was lucky enough to beta-test.
Note that as I am writing this review, I don’t get a cent from it – you will find no affiliate links in it or anything of that sort. It’s really just my honest review of the course.
What is Zero to Launch?
Unlike Earn1k and Ramit’s 6-figure Consultants, this course isn’t about consulting.
Zero to launch is about taking the knowledge that you have, creating an online product out of it and then sharing it with hundreds or even thousands of people.
I was super excited when I got offered to beta-test this course because even though I was making more than enough money with my consulting business, there were only so many clients that I could work with 1on1.
I also felt like I was saying the same things over and over again – so why wouldn’t I just record them and make a video course out of them?
Well, I’ll tell you why… Because I tried doing that in the past. But I thought that in order to do that, I needed to have a fancy website, professionally hosted videos, a complicated billing process… and of course I never actually managed to put anything together because I didn’t know where to even start.
With Zero to Launch, we went through a step-by-step process that helped me set up my website from scratch, build my e-mail list and sell my first products.
Let’s dive into a few specific examples of what I learned during Zero To Launch:
1. Do I need to invest thousands of dollars into a customized website?
Before Zero To Launch, I thought that I needed a fancy, personalized website and I actually spent more than $500 getting one. I also spent more than 100 hours tweaking font colors, setting up archive pages and fixing small details like having 5 posts on one page instead of 10.
Here’s an image of my old website (you can even click this link to see what it looked like).
During Zero to Launch, I paid $50 for a Genesis template and got the website set up in a matter of days so I could focus on actually producing content for my readers.
2. How many blog posts should I write a week?
At my old website, I wrote a ton of blog posts. At one point, I even wrote daily tips for my readers… like “take a walk”, “drink water” and “clean your work environment”. Meh. It wasn’t high quality content, and it wasn’t driving much traffic to my website. I blogged for about 6 months, and I got to about 50 e-mail subscribers total.
Now, I have more than 1600 subscribers on my e-mail list and I have just a few blog posts up there. In fact, I managed to get 500 subscribers with just TWO blog posts that were one month apart!
And now, I also know how to write epic content that people read, share and talk about. No more “daily tips” that everyone forgets the next day. For example, I’ve written a 17.000 word Guide on Surrounding Yourself with Successful People that is packed with specific stories, scripts, systems and real-life examples. This guide alone had gotten thousands of views within days, as well as feedback like this:
I give the majority of my content out for free via my blog and e-mail list, even content that I could potentially sell, because I know that there’s a lot more where that came from.
Now I don’t want to just create content. Now I want to create the best content out there, and thanks to the content creation frameworks from Ramit’s Zero to Launch I know exactly how to do that.
3. Should I use SEO, Facebook, Twitter or something else to drive traffic to my website?
Before Zero to Launch, I thought that I needed to do EVERYTHING to drive traffic to my website. I didn’t want to miss out on people who would see my blog on Twitter or Facebook.
Now I know that I just have to focus on what works for me. I actually deleted my Twitter account and I don’t really use Facebook all that much because I know that those techniques were under-performing against other ones.
This allows me to focus on what actually works for me (mostly guest posts and podcasts). I’m not sure what will work for you, but by investing more time into what worked for you in the past, you will be able to get much better results.
4. If I’m stuck on something, what do I do?
I told you before that I wanted to create this big online course that had a complicated billing system, professional videos, etc… but I just didn’t know who to talk to about my next steps. There is so much information out there in the internet, but how do you know what really works?
With Zero to Launch private community, I was able to get first-hand advice from people like James who have already sold online courses before. By having a short chat, I was able to move on to taking action instead of being paralyzed by not knowing which information is right and which isn’t.
And if I wasn’t really sure about something, I could always ask a question in the Facebook group and even get first-hand feedback from Ramit!
5. How do I know if anyone will actually buy my product?
I have a friend who actually spent a year or so (and thousands of dollars) on developing a product. A few months ago, he launched it. Guess how many people bought it? ZERO. Now he’s trying all kinds of different things to “fix” the product, but he still isn’t making any money.
Because he didn’t validate his idea before-hand. He didn’t ask anyone if they would actually be interesting in something like that (or be willing to pay for it). When I advised him to do that a while ago, he said that “he wants to keep it a secret”.
With Ramit’s idea validation framework, I was able to know very soon whether my idea was a good one and if someone would actually buy it. And since then, I have actually managed to develop a few products and successfully sell them!
6. Ok, this looks cool… But will I actually be able to make any money with Zero to Launch?
With my old blog, I was able to make about $20 with Amazon affiliate links. That’s it. No consulting clients, no product sales. I had no idea how to even monetize my blog.
Since Zero to Launch, I have already launched a few products and I got sales like this:
On top of that, I even got a few consulting clients that helped me earn thousands of dollars in extra revenue.
How is your life different since Zero to Launch?
The biggest difference for me is probably earning money in my sleep. It’s such a great feeling to wake up to e-mails like this:
With my latest product, I managed to get enough sales to cover my monthly rent in just 4 days!
I’m also able to work from anywhere I want to, at any time – whether it’s from a coffee shop or from business class on a plane.
Last but not least, I can now do a lot of writing and podcasting, which is something that I REALLY enjoy – and I get to share it with hundreds of people, instead of just one person!
And what can Zero to Launch do for you? Well, it can give you the ability to do whatever you want, whenever you want, without financial restrictions.
Do you want to be able to take a month off to be with your family like James? Maybe have the option of quitting your job if you want to? Or maybe you just want to be earning money while you take a trip around the world?
All of this is possible. I’ve done it, James has done it, and more of Ramit’s students have done it:
There are so many opportunities out there, and you can definitely get them as well.
So right now you’re probably wondering if Zero to Launch will work as well for you as it did for us.
I’ll be honest, Zero to Launch is NOT for everyone.
Zero to Launch is NOT right for you if…
- You want to get rich quick. It’s very likely that you won’t be making $10k/month right off the bat. It took me a few months to release my first product and get my first sales.
- You think that this program won’t work for you because of (insert X excuse). If you disqualify yourself before even putting in the effort, you will never get the results that you want.
- You aren’t willing to commit at least a few hours each week into working on your online business. If your excuse is that you “don’t have time”, then creating your online business just isn’t important enough to you yet.
Zero to Launch IS right for you if…
- You understand that it takes some time to get the ball rolling in the beginning, and that you will be able to benefit from the hard work that you put in now for years to come. You will actually be surprised how many new opportunities will open up for you once you get everything up and running.
- You like to take massive action. The beta-students that got the best results were the ones that didn’t focus on the barriers that were holding them back from success (“I’m not white, tall and extremely good looking like he is”, “I don’t have rich parents”, “I’m from a third world country…”). Instead, they focused on putting in the work and getting the results that they wanted.
- You have the attitude that you will “make the system work for you no matter what”. I do a lot of testing to find out what really works best for me (Facebook advertising? Guest posts? E-book opt-in offer? “free updates” newsletter?), and it’s likely that you will have to do some testing yourself to get the best results. If you love testing and are willing to trust the system, then this course is perfect for you.
If you decide to try out Zero to Launch, keep this in mind:
If you are going to try the course out, I wanted to give you a few tips based on my experiences:
- Set up a good, visible opt-in offer before doing massive promotion. You want to be able to capture the e-mail addresses of your subscribers before you go ahead and promote the website. As an opt-in offer, an e-book and a 7-day boot camp worked well for me. To make sure they’re visible, I use the Plugmatter Feature Box plug-in
- Don’t waste too much time stuck in tactical hell. You don’t need a fancy website to get started. Get a studiopress template and move on! You don’t need fancy webinar software and a complex billing system to create and sell your first product. I used Google Hangouts for the webinar, Paypal to sell the products and Google Drive to give my students access to my content. It’s “good enough” to get started, and these things can always get professionalized later.
- If you ARE stuck, reach out for help. There will be a great private community at Zero to Launch, and many members (including me) will be happy to help you out if you’re stuck with something. We love helping people who are willing to take action and then get results!
Let me help you get the most out of Zero to Launch
I’ll be honest with you. With Ramit’s Zero to Launch system, you will get all the knowledge that you need to create a successful online business.
But in the end, YOU are still the person who will need to put in the work.
If you really want to get the most out of Zero to Launch, this is what you will need to do:
- Put in 5-10 hours of work a week: You will need to sit down, study the course materials and take massive action. You will need to work on your website, write blog posts, promote your blog posts through podcasts and guest posts, create products, collect feedback from your customers and much much more.
- Overcome your mental barriers: Sometimes, you will need to do something that you aren’t comfortable with. You will need to e-mail another blogger and ask to guest post on their site. You will need to send out a survey to your e-mail list. You will need to pitch your first product to your list.
- Get un-stuck: You will eventually run out of the initial boost of motivation. Working will feel like a chore, and you will just want to lay in bed all day long, watching Walking Dead. You will procrastinate going through the course materials, feel like you’re “falling behind” and it will be harder and harder to get back on track.
Things like that WILL happen. So instead of relying just on motivation, “trying harder” and “pushing through it“, why don’t you anticipate that things will go wrong and plan for them in advance?
You can do this in two ways – by creating habits and systems that will help you stay at the top of your game and keep taking massive action. I share these systems through my e-mail list, and I also put together a 22-page Guide to Creating Bulletproof Habits which will help you put in those 5-10 hours a week, overcome your mental barriers and get un-stuck when you lose your drive.
To get access to the guide and the systems that I use to keep growing my business, just enter your e-mail below and click “GET ACCESS NOW!”.